Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Plan


It's been difficult to plan this trip, there were just so many variables to consider, gear, route etc... But I have finally laid my plan and I am ready to exicute it. I will be leaving the island of Martha's Vineyard where I live on a 9:00am ferry friday the 17th of October. I'm being driven to Upton, Massachusetts to get off of Cape Cod, I originaly wanted to ride the whole way but the two bridges off the cape are limited access highways which means it's illegal to ride a bike on those roadways so I'm being drive off the cape. Once I've made it to Upton I will be following the American Cycling Association's maps to Florida and then riding West until I hit the Pacific. The American Cycling Association is a group that promotes riding bikes as a way of travelling cross country, and there maps are compiled out of back roads and are designed to be bike friendly and along low traffic routes. So that's it in my next post I'll review what I'm taking with me as far as gear is concerned and about what I'll be upto until I leave next week.

Now That I know where I will be heading I'm going to use this space to shameless beg for a couch to sleep on or a back yard to pitch a tent in. So if you live near, or know someone who lives near one of the town I'm about to list, and you or they would be willing to put me up and save me a few bucks, please e-mail me or have your friend e-mail me.

Massachusetts: Upton, Dudley

Connecticut: Windsoor Locks, Winsted, Canaan

New York: Millerton, Poughkeepsie, Middleton, Port Jervis

New Jersey: Belvidere, Lambertville

Pennsylvania: Delaware Water Gap, Norristown, Philadelphia, Valley Forge, Bowmansville, Manheim, Columbia

Maryland: Baltimore, Reistertown, Washingtown DC

Virginia: Dale City, Fredricksberg, Cedon, Richmond, Hopewell, Disputantaisle, Wright, Suffolk

North Carolina: Sunbury, Mount Gould, Plymouth, Pinetown, Aurora, Newbern, Jacksonville, Surf City, Wilmington, Shallotte

South Carolina: Conway, Pleasant, Hill, Andrews, Charleston, Walterboro, Yemassee

Georgia: Clyo, Statesboro, Reidsville, Patterson, Folkston

Florida: Callahan, Jacksonville Beach, St. Augustine

1 comment:

Lysee said...

Oh my Lee! You are my hero! My brother in law did the exact same thing- rode his bike across the US with two friends. Throughout the entire trip they had people who helped them sign a basketball. The plan was to end at the basketball of hall of fame where they wanted to present the ball and have it put on display- and they accomplished it. they actually made a movie about it called True Fans. It is really funny and entertaining so you should watch it if you get the chance. There is also a book about it entitled True Fans by Dan Austin. Are you coming through Logan? Let us know when you are going to be here. Love you, be safe!